Thursday, October 7, 2010

Design & my Momma

I think it happened a little while after I moved to Chicago.  I had escaped a tumultuous (to say the least) relationship, and was suddenly and completely alone in this city.  I had to find an apartment, a job, and all the things around me that make my home.  I think that's when I started to gravitate towards my Momma's style.  Soft things, pretty things, light-colored things.  Where before my style had been extremely bold, dramatic, and more often than not, mismatched, I began to want the things around me that reminded me of her.  Because she couldn't be there to hold me, having things that looked like hers surrounded me like the hug she would have given me.

apartmenttherapy.com
etsy.com
etsy.com

6 comments:

  1. Oh Nessa...you have touched my heart in the softest and most intense way. I love you Honey, and I send you one of those warm, enfolding, "I see you" hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. =) I find myself decorating like Mom too, mostly because her style just feels like home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you might understand. :) Did I tell you that I totally wear nightgowns now? The first thing I loved about Dave was that he didn't make fun of me for dressing for bed like an old lady (Momma, that has nothing to do with you, don't worry about it!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not worried :-) I have always been an "old soul" in this body. I like what I like whether it is old fashioned or not! I am gratified and take it as a compliment that my Daughters are enjoying "homey" influenced by me!

    ReplyDelete