Monday, January 24, 2011

What I'm doing... Meal Planning Challenge

I want, and need, to eat better foods.  I want to get out of my food ruts, and, most importantly, I want to save money!  Here is my challenge for the week, and the month ahead:

1. Eat at least two full, balanced meals per day, and one smaller meal.

2. Eat whole foods, fresh foods, NO foods packed with preservatives, no HFCS (although I avoid it already), healthy foods, and hopefully seasonal and somewhat local foods.

3. Spend only $40 for the week, or $160 for a one-month period.

4. Plan meals for the week ahead of time.

I think I can do it!  This week I'm probably cheating a little, because I have pizza left over from yesterday for my lunch today, and I'm already looking forward to eating bubble & squeak for dinner tonight or tomorrow, so although I have all good, whole foods, I won't have to spend as much money.  But I'm going to continue this challenge next week, and I won't be so lucky then.  I'll be sure to note which ingredients I already had in my cupboards/refrigerator, and which I had to buy (and of course, how much it cost me).

2 comments:

  1. This seems really interesting to me. Not spending over 160/month on food is amazing conceptually though Im sure utterly doable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make a point about people on a budget still being able to eat GOOD, wholesome food. It's $20 per person per week, in our case, and I really think we can do it!

    ReplyDelete