Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What I'm Celebrating... Valentine's Day

Like many girls and women that I know, Valentine's Day wasn't always my favorite holiday.  Well, its still far from my favorite, but I don't hate it completely anymore.

When I was in high school, my friends and I celebrated "Anarchy Day", which was really just me handing out cupcakes with black icing, and the anarchy "A" on top in red icing.  I'm sure it sounds silly to you, but I still have friends who wish me a "Happy Anarchy Day!" every February 14th!

I'm not into the saccharine sweet, but it was nice to celebrate my second Valentine's Day with my 'fella.  I believe we have a bit of a tradition going... skip the fancy-schmancy dinner, with its frustrating reservation-making, overprice prix fixe menus, and skirts that don't work with Chicago Winter weather.  Instead, we go to our favorite taqueria, and eat Mexican food slathered in sour cream.

We shared the chips with salsa roja (the best I've found in Chicago!) and salsa verde, as well as the surprisingly good jalapeño poppers.  I had the chiles rellenos dinner (I judge Mexican restaurants by their chiles rellenos, and Taqueria El Ranchito has the best I've found in Chicago, so far).  My 'fella had a burrito suizo (burrito smothered in cheese), or as he called it, "a burrito as big as my head".  Add in a lime Jarritos and cake for dessert, and its a winner!

Taqueria El Ranchito, Uptown Chicago

Chiles Rellenos dinner


Chips w/ salsa roja & salsa verde

Chiles Rellenos dinner


Burrito Suizo

Burrito Suizo

Jalapeño Poppers (Which were, to my surprise and delight, actually handmade, and delicious!)

Chiles Rellenos dinner

Mmm dessert... oreo cake for my 'fella, and chocolate mousse for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment