Monday, March 3, 2014

My New Favorite Necklace

Funny story (or at least I think so): When I was around 16- or 17-years-old, I was dead into punk. One of my favorite movies at the time was Sid & Nancy. If you've seen it, you maybe remember the scene where Nancy bolts a chain with a padlock around Sid's neck. No key, just a chain and a padlock that wasn't about to come off any time soon. I loved it, and of course immediately bolted a padlock around my own neck. It took the wisdom of my Mom to point out that if I were to be stung by a bee (I'm minimally allergic), that my neck would swell up, and I would most likely be choked to death by this fashion statement of mine, which I couldn't remove. After a bit of bribery, my Dad took me to the Charlottesville Fire Department and, much to my embarrassment, had them use bolt cutters to remove it. He did compensate me with a much more delicate necklace from (the now defunct, but once awesome shop) Coyote, and launched me into my goth phase...

So I thought it would be cool to do an updated take on the padlock necklace. One that could be removed, of course.

Gold Chain Padlock Necklace
I don't want to toot my own horn too much here, but I am obsessed with this necklace. I wear it every day! It's light, even though the gold chain is thick and bold, and it looks great with everything. I have no doubt that it will become the favorite necklace of anyone who purchases it, too.

Gold Chain Padlock Necklace
If you have worrywart parents (but they're probably right), it can be easily removed with the lobster clasp, so no need to be concerned about bee stings or snake bites or whatever else might cause you to swell up like a balloon. What a relief, eh?

It is, of course, available through my website and Etsy shop. If you're going to be out and about this weekend, I'll also have them available in my studio this Friday for First Friday at the Flat Iron Building.

I'm going to spend the day working on a few different things, including more MLB cuff links. I bought a few small plants for office, and while they are tiny, they seem to be making a big enough impact to get me away from working on the couch all day. A huge cold window seems warmer when there's a plant hanging in it.


I hope all of you are staying warm out there. This winter is almost over... isn't it?

1 comment: